Introduction: Hello travelers, We are here today with an excellent tour guide of Uttarakhand, Places to visit in Uttarakhand. Uttarakhand is well known as Devbhumi- the ‘Land of Gods’. The state got separated from Uttar Pradesh which is formerly known as Uttaranchal. It is a popular pilgrimage site, as the holy rivers Ganga and Yamuna-the most sacred rivers of Hindus, originated from this place. It is the home of the Char Dhams were the most pious sites of pilgrimage revered by the Hindus- Gangotri, Yamunotri, Kedarnath, and Badrinath. What are we waiting for? let us check the Places to Visit in Uttarakhand.
A step by step guide to places to visit in Uttarakhand
Thousands of tourists visit Uttarakhand annually to pay their homage to the Char Dhams. The attractions include ancient temples, forest reserves, National Parks, Hill stations, and Mountain Peaks welcome you with the calm cooling atmosphere of Uttarakhand. It is also famous for the major hill stations like- Mussoorie, Nainital, Dhanaulti, Lansdowne, Sattal, Almora, Kausani, Bhimtal, and Ranikhet are the best hill stations in the state where you can plan your trips and spend holidays. Uttarakhand is a popular tourist destination in India as it creates an urge to explore more and more.
Best time to visit Uttarakhand
Uttarakhand can be visited at any time throughout the year except in the monsoon season that is from July to August. Summer is the best time to visit this state as the climate will be cool and pleasant when compared with the other states. But during winters, the state is filled with full of snowfalls making it more picturesque and beautiful. The temperature during the summer season will be on an average of 20-30°C, where you can enjoy without any rainfall or freezing temperature.
You may also like the Goa Travel Guide.
Top tourist places to visit in Uttarakhand
Uttarakhand is famous for its scenic beauty and pilgrim centers which makes it select as the most popular tourist destination in India. The following are the visiting places in Uttarakhand.
- Dehradun: Dehradun gives you a beautiful picturesque with the Himalayan Ranges and River Ganges, Yamuna or either side of the city. It is also famous for architectural display with ancient constructions. The leading attractions in Dehradun includes-Sahastradhara, Tiger Falls, Robber’s Cave, Mindrolling Monastery, Tapkeshwar Temple, Forest Research Institute, Tapovan, Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology, Lachhiwala, and Malsi Deer Park.
- Nanital: It is a scenic delight for all the tourists and is an irresistible place to visit. It is located around Naini Lake in a valley with mountains on all sides. It is the most important tourist attraction in Uttarakhand. The other attractions in Nainital include-
Naini Lake, Naina Peak, Tiffin Top, St. John in the Wilderness. Pt. G.B. Pant High Altitude Zoo, Gurney House, Snow View, Land’s End, Kilbury Bird Sanctuary, and Eco Cave Gardens.
- Mussoorie: It is well known as the queen of hills with its beauty personified. It is located at an altitude of 6,000 feet. The popular tourist attractions in Mussoorie include- Kempty Falls, LalTibba, Happy Valley, Camel’s Back Road, Gun Hill, Mussoorie Lake, Christ Church, Sir George Everest’s House, Jwalaji Temple, and The Mall (Mall Road).
- Rishikesh: This place is a blend of tranquility and adventure. You can perform various adventurous activities such as trekking, rafting, camping captivate nature lovers. One can also feel it as a pilgrim center that touches the soul of pilgrims. Rishikesh is famously known as the Yoga capital of the world. Then important tourist destinations include- LaxmanJhula temple, NeelkanthMahadev Temple, The Beatles Ashram, Swarg Ashram, ParmarthNiketan, Rajaji National Park, Kaudiyala, Shivpuri, Jumpin Heights, Shivpuri, and Narendra Nagar.
- Haridwar: It is well known as Gateway to the Lord. A great number of temples and ashrams are located here. The city is considered as a holy place as many of the tourists travel to this place to offer their prayers. KumbhMela, a famous festival that is held once in 12 years. The leading attractions in Haridwar include-Har Ki Pauri, Chandi Devi Temple, Maya Devi Temple, Mansa Devi Temple, DakshaMahadev Temple, Vishnu Ghat, Shanti Gunj, PavanDham, Vaishno Devi Temple, and Bharat Mata Mandir.
- Kedarnath: It is a small town located in Garhwal Himalayan Ranges. It is one of the holiest pilgrimages for those who follow Hinduism. The famous Kedarnath Temple is located here. The other attractions include- Kedarnath Temple, Chorabari Tal, Vasuki Tal, GauriKund, and Triyuginarayan Temple.
- Badrinath: It is another popular pilgrim center in Uttarakhand. It is located between Nar and Narayana, the mountain ranges. Badrinath temple is the main attraction here. The other attractions include-Badrinath Temple, Hot springs, Neelkanth Peak, Charanpaduka, and Valley of flowers.
- Almora: It is a picturesque site and the views of the Himalayas are spell bounding. It is also famous for handicrafts, Cuisine, and wildlife. The other attractions include –Kasar Devi Temple, Katarmal Sun Temple, Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary, Museum, Martola, Kalimut, Zero point, etc.
- Kausani: You can experience the generosity of Mother Nature. It is located at a height of 1890 m. The other attractions include- Rudradhari Falls and Caves, SumitranandanPanth Gallery, Baijnath Temple, Kausani Tea estate, etc.
- Pithorahgarh: This land is blessed with natural beauty, where every inch of it will wonder you with its beauty. One should not miss the following attraction when you visit here- Chandak, Askot Sanctuary, Ralam Glacier, Jhulaghatr, Pithoragarh Fort, ThalKedar, Gangolihat, and Dhwaj Temple.
- Ranikhet: It is a hill station and is the queens land where you can view the Himalayas at its best. Ranikhet is also famous for the following places- Jhula Devi Temple, Chaubatia Orchard, Upat and Kalika, Mankameswar Temple, HaidakhanBabaji Temple, Shitlakhet, Dwarahat temples, etc.
- Corbett National Park: It is named after the hunter Jim Corbett. It is one of the most popular National Parks. It has a dense forest and an array of wildlife. One can explore the park by Jeep or elephant safari which takes place daily. The Dhikala zone in the park gives you a stunning Valley view.
You should not miss the Places to Visit in Tamil Nadu.
Traveling to Uttarakhand
Uttarakhand is gradually developing its connectivity in all the means of transport. Roadways remain the best to explore this hilly state. The road connectivity is well developed in both Intrastate and Interstate. The three means of transport in Uttarakhand are described below:
Airways in Uttarakhand: There are three airports in this state namely Pantnagar Airport, Jolly Grant, and Naini Saini Airport. Jolly Grant is well-connected among all the three and to other states and countries.
Railways: There are 16 Railway stations including the big and the small which connects Uttarakhand with all the major cities, towns in India. Haridwar, Dehradun Kathgodam, Rudrapur, Tanakpur, Patnagar are few railway stations that make traveling easy inside as well as from other parts of the country.
Roadways: Roadways offer the best connectivity in the state. It is well connected with the highways like NH 108, NH 109, NH 119, NH 121, NH 123, and NH 72A.
Famous Uttarakhand food items
The distinctive characteristic of the famous food in Uttarakhand is they are prepared in wood and charcoal burnt which helps to keep the nutritional content intact. The food is simply prepared with local ingredients using herbs and spices which make the food highly energetic. They don’t have uniform cuisine, the local dishes keep changing place to place. The staples are mostly North Indian especially in and around the pilgrimage sites being vegetarian. The food is mostly vegetarian here but few nonvegetarian preparations of chicken and mutton can also be found. Rice and hash seeds known as Bhaang are essential elements here. The famous dishes include Bhatt Ki Churdkani, Kafuli, Phannu, Badi, Rus, Gulgula, KandaleeKaSaag, Palau are the local and unique preparations that are special in all the areas.
Where to stay in Uttarakhand
Uttarakhand is developing day by day in hospitality wise. It is offering the best accommodation and restaurants as the state is being a popular tourist destination for all travelers. This mainly offers homestay experience in a few of the scenic destinations. It offers you all the types of accommodations-luxury, economical and budget-friendly. That’s all folks about places to visit in Uttarakhand and Uttarakhand tour guide.
Check these Best Travel Credit Card Benefits, Features for your travel needs.