Introduction: Hello friends, today we find the places to visit in South Goa.South Goa is famously known as the unhurried place of life. Exotic beaches, heritage villages, rich architectural legacy, historical views, intoxicating air, romantic places make South Goa as the top tourist destination in India. It is one of the two districts of Goa. It is the best place to visit and spend your holiday time.
A step by step guide to Places to Visit in South Goa
It is full of beaches, churches, temples, museums, waterfalls, forts, wildlife sanctuaries, etc. Much of the holiday trips are arranged here to spend quality time. Have a look at the below places which you need to visit when you plan your trip to South Goa.
Tourist attractions in South Goa
- Palolem Beach: The scenic is amazing and beautiful in South Goa. One can do many activities like dolphin sighting, shopping in flea markets, enjoying the fresh morning breeze, do beach walks and yoga in leisure.
- Agonda Beach: It is well-known as spectacular pristine sandy beaches with breathtaking sunset views. You can have fun by playing beach games, walking on the golden sands, go sun-bathing, eat at the beach shacks, horse riding, or just watch the sunset.
- Benaulim Beach: It is a much quieter beach with white sands and pine trees along the shore. It is an adventurous beach where you can go for water sports, sailing tours, dolphin sighting in boats, and enjoy the view by sitting in shacks along with delicious Goan food.
- Colva Beach: It is located 33 Km away from the PanjimKadamba bus stand and 8 Km from Margao Railway station. This is the largest and oldest among the Southern region of Goa and ranks best in all the beaches in the entire state. Butterfly Beach: It is situated towards the north of Palolem beach. It is very beautiful and well known for peace and isolation, and is the quietest beach unexplored in Goa. It is surrounded by a lot of rocks and the visitors can enjoy a thrilling ride by paddleboat towards the beach and can enjoy the dolphins while riding.
- Galgibaga Beach: This is famously known as turtle beach where you can find the endangered olive redley turtles resting and hatching here. It is famously known as the cleanest beach in Goa. The coast is full of dense pine vegetation and is perfect for the people who seek privacy and enjoy the sunset, sunbathing, swimming, etc.
- Cavelossim Beach: You can enjoy the spectacular view where the blue sea meeting the white sands. The night parties are famous here but you can enjoy dolphin sighting, boat ride, etc during day time.
- Majorda Beach: It is a very popular destination in South Goa which offers delicious cuisine in the shacks. It also has many resorts which attract many tourists. It is famous for Christmas carnival celebrations. The baked items in the bakeries are more famous over here.
- Bogmalo Beach: It is perfect for sunbathing and enjoying the natural scenery. It is quiet, tranquil, and gives a delight especially for the honeymoon couples. Islands close to this beach have clear waters making them the best diving sites for underwater adventures like snorkeling and scuba diving. The water is so clear that you can see the underwater marine life and its natural beauty.
- Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary: It is the second-largest sanctuary in Goa with verdant green tropical forests. It is so dense that even sunlight can’t penetrate it. It is the home for various animals and birds and one can do activities like climbing on tree perches to spot wildlife, go on hiking trails, interact with tribal, and indulge in some serious photography.
- Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary: It is made up of dense tropical forests and towering mountains. Several waterfalls and meandering river streams in the forests add a magical touch to the tourists. The sanctuary is the best place to spot Gaur (Indian Bison),
- BhagwanMahaveer National Park: It gives a delight for nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts. It is the largest National Park in Goa. It is the home for Indian Bison, Malabar Giant Squirrel, among other animals and birds.
- Three Kings Chapel: The visit to this church gives a panoramic view of the lush green countryside of the Arabian coastline. It also has an interesting story where the church is haunted by three ghosts of Kings who were murdered for greed.
- TambdiSurlaMahadev Temple: This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is located deep in the jungles away from civilization. This temple is sculpted with black basalt stone with intricate carvings in the interiors.
- Cabo de Rama Fort: It is the oldest fort of Goa and named after Lord Rama. You can see its majestic fortifications, from turrets, bastions, cannons, to a moat, prison and military barracks. There is a small chapel near the fort, which is still in use. The fort gives you a spectacular view of the Arabian Sea and its coastlines.
- Dudhsagar Waterfalls: It is the tallest waterfall in India which is located inside BhagwanMahaveer National Park. This waterfall falls from a height of 310m and gives you an awesome nature view with its beauty. Trekking through the jungle, tunnels, and railway tracks is the best way to enjoy the falls. All these make it a supreme tourist attraction of South Goa.
- Spice Garden, Elephant Ride: Spice garden is spread across more than 100 acres with all kinds spice plantation in South Goa. They entry fee would be around 400 to 500 Rupees per person which includes a meal. The food seved in the spice garden is an excellent taste. There would be a guide to explain about the spice plants. Once you are out of spice garden, you can find a elephant ride very nearby. The ride would be short and little expensive. You can find lots of cashew plants when you are riding with elephant. Never try to eat raw cashew by plucking from trees as they are poisonous at that stage.
Places to stay in South Goa
South Goa is best for everything with the best and unique places to stay in South Goa. It offers you luxurious stay in villas, hotel rooms, lavish stay in Casa Baga, Mayfair Resorts, Overnight stays, 3-day bird watching nature stay, adventure stay, Jungle camping, lotus resort, beach stay, honeymoon stay, stay at beach huts, cottages, palm grove stay, guest house stay, homestays, coconut huts, Palolem cottages, tents and cocohuts, papaya stay, etc. are the major stays available in all the types of budget.
You should not miss the Places to Visit in Karnataka.
Best time to visit South Goa
The ideal time for a trip to South Goa is from October to March as the weather isn’t too cold during winter months and traveling is much easier with the sunrays blistering your skin.
Famous food items you should not miss in South Goa
Here is the list for delicious food available in South Goa – Goan fish curry, shark Ambottik, chicken xacuti, Goan pork vindaloo, sorpotel, feijoada, chicken cafreal, sorak, samarachikodi, prawns xequexeque, patolea, cranxacuti, bebinca, fish recheado, sannas, and goankhatkhate.
Best way to reach South Goa
How to reach Goa by airlines
Dabolim is the main International airport situated 29 km from Panaji. It supports all the Domestic and International airlines opening to Goa. So it’s very convenient to reach South Goa by flight.
How to reach South Goa by rail
You should be glad that you can reach South Goa by train as well. The most important railway stations in South Goa include Margao, Madagoan and Vasco da Gama.
How to reach South Goa by road
Visitors can come by bus where Kadamba is the major bus station where you can get buses to all other places. Car service is also a better way and one can opt Goa’s motorcycle taxi which is unique and interesting. So you can travel by car and come to Goa.
Hope you have enjoyed the Places to Visit in South Goa and South Goa Tour Guide. We wish you very happy and safe travel to South Goa. For your travel rewards and offers, you may consider Best Travel Credit Cards.