Introduction: Hello Travelers, We are here today with wonderful information of places to visit in Sikkim state of India. Sikkim has been regarded as one of the last Himalayan Utopias and is bordered by Tibet region of China, Bhutan, Nepal and West Bengal. It is the smallest state in India and takes much time to travel due to its vertical terrain. It is not the most accessible area to visit but it is filled with gorgeous adventurous places to visit. It is the home of the world’s third-highest mountain.
A guide to places to visit in Sikkim, tourist attractions
Sikkim is a remote region in the Himalayas with a unique Tibetan Buddhist culture and stunning views. It is considered as a prominent destination for travelers. It is popular for its beauty, the richness of culture, monasteries, flora, and fauna. Kanchenjunga is the most popular place to visit in Sikkim.
A brief history of Sikkim
Sikkim was a remote mountain kingdom ruled by Chogyals till 1975. Sikkim has a base for mountaineering expeditions with excellent river rafting. In the past few years, Sikkim is well developed as a tourist place and is considered as one of the most sought tourist destinations. What are we waiting for? let is start our journey with places to visit in Sikkim.
Best time to visit Sikkim
The best time to visit Sikkim is March and June. The temperature varies from 5-25°C during the summer season. Even though it is summer you need to pack several woolen clothes and warm clothes as the temperature might fall below 5°C. This weather is perfect for sightseeing tours of Yumthang valley, Gurudongmar Lake, and Rumtek monastery.
Top things to do in Sikkim
- Gazing at the World’s tallest mountains: Gangtok-Sikkim’s capital is situated 5,500 feet above sea level. You can visit Khangchendzonga’s Peaks, the World’s third highest peaks. Khangchendzonga National Park is added to the UNESCO World Heritage site in 2016. This city is well organized, clean and most of the tourists like to stay here as the arrangements were feasible to see the sites.
- Meditation at Monastery: Sikkim is proved to be a marvelous place for meditation as there are more than 200 monasteries situated at the hill tops. The most visited sacred buildings in Sikkim are Rumtek, Pemayangtse, Tashiding, Enchey monastery, old SangaChoeling monastery, etc.
- The Chinese Border: It consists of a lone barbed wire fence and you can see Chinese soldiers on the other side, which gives you a thrilling experience during this visit. Indian citizens are only allowed to pass through the gate that too only from Wednesday to Sunday. Special permission is also required which can be obtained from a registered travel agency in Gangtok.
- Ride on Yak at the glacial lake: It is the major tourist attraction in Sikkim where you can visit the Tsomgo Lake or Changu Lake. This lake gives you a lovely view of the mountains that surround it. This lake is also known as a watercolor changing lake with seasons. During the ride on Yak, tourists can spot various bird species, Brahminy ducks, Red Panda, and endangered species like a domestic cat.
- Flora and Fauna sanctuaries: Sikkim is renowned for its outstanding variety of animals including 550 species of birds and 700 species of butterflies. It also has 600 varieties of orchids and 30 species of Rhododendron. During the visit to Sikkim, you must explore thewildlife,flowers, and landscapes at the sanctuaries. You can find many sanctuaries in Sikkim like Varsey Rhododendron Sanctuary, Maenam Wildlife Sanctuary, Shingba Rhododendron Sanctuary. Deorali Orchid Sanctuary, FambongLho Wildlife Sanctuary, Kyongnosla Alpine Sanctuary, and Jawaharlal Nehru Botanical Garden.
- Yuksom and Dzongri Trail: Yuksom is the gateway for trekking towards Khangchendzonga. The route from Yuksom to Dzongri Peak is full of forests, Rhododendron gardens and beautiful rivers of Khangchendzonga National Park. March to May is the ideal time to visitthis place.
- High Altitude Lake: It gives a dazzling scenery to the visitors. Lachung is the base for Rhododendron Valley Trek from Yumthang to Lachen. You can also visit Lachung Monastery, Yumesandong- Zero Point, Gurudongmar Lake- The World’ s highest lake with 17,000 feet above sea level.
- Mount Khangchendzonga: It is the third highest mountain and it gives a wonderful view-point. The major attractions include the ruins of Rabdentse, Khecheopalri Lake, Pemayangtse Monastery, Sangay Falls, and more.
- Buddha Park in Ravangla: It towers 130 footof Golden Buddha statue covered by beautiful gardens along with a walkway. The other attractions include-Temi Tea garden- the world’s best-known tea garden, cherry resort.
- Giant Statues in Namchi: Namchi is famous for Jain statues which include Buddhist statue of Guru Padmasambhava, Samdruptse Hill, Hindu Lord Shiva Statue, along with Holy Char Dham pilgrimage sites.
- River Rafting adventure: It is the most adventurous part when you visit Sikkim.The Teesta River offers you river rafting, along with overnight camping. High cliffs and gorges, along with boulder-strewn river beds, add the thrill in your life when you visit Sikkim.
- Tiny Village of Zuluk: Zuluk is a tiny village that has Mount Khangchendzonga from Lungthung and Thambi View Point as the main attraction to see. It is a military controlled area which is situated near the Chinese border.
You shoud not miss the Places to Visit in Uttarakhand.
Traveling to Sikkim
Sikkim is a vibrant and scenic place with natural beauty and charm. It is filled with Himalayan Mountains, traditional monasteries, lush woodlands, and thick valleys at every corner. If you plan to visit Sikkim you can come by either means of transport.
Airways in Sikkim: There is no airport in Sikkim but the nearest airport is situated in Bagdogra in West Bengal which is 124 km from Gangtok, where busses or cabs are available from Bagdogra to Gangtok. Helicopter service is also provided which takes 30 minutes from Bagdogra to Gangtok.
Railways: The two nearest railway stations to Sikkim are situated in New Jalpaiguri and Siliguri located in West Bengal. These are well-connected and it takes 5 hours to travel from these stations to Himalayan Kingdom-Sikkim.
Roadways: You can travel through Siliguri and Darjeeling. It is a scenic route as the Teeste River flows on one side and is encompassed by the lush green mountains.
Famous Sikkim food items
Maize is the staple food of Sikkim. It consists of majorly non- vegetarian items. The vegetables are fermented to preserve them for a longer time. The popular food of Sikkim to explore when you visit- Momo Dumplings, Thukpa or Gyathuk, Phagshapa, ShaPhaley, Gundruk, Sinki, Kinema, Dal Bhat, Dhindo are the most famous items.
Where to stay in Sikkim
You can experience the warmest hospitality in this beautiful and humble land. The accommodation options in Sikkim are abounding. It ranges from luxury to budget-friendly in smaller towns and cities. Homestays are also available in villages. So in Sikkim, the accommodation is comfortable with the best options where you can opt-in for the one which you need. That’s all folks about places to visit in Sikkim state and tourist attractions in Sikkim. Hope you enjoy tour travel in Sikkim.
You may be interested in Best Travel Credit Cards.