Introduction: Hi Travelres today we are going expolre the places to visit in Punjab, India. Punjab is blessed by the waters of five mighty rivers-the Ravi, Beas, Sutlej, Chenab and Jhelum which irrigate the land and hence is it popularly known as the “the land of five rivers”. Since the state is well irrigated here, it also supplies the bulk of India’s demand for wheat and rice. It is a popular travel destination for people who wish to explore and enjoy culture, ancient civilization, spirituality, and history. Even though you will not find any significant activities for adventure the region is a home for cuisine, culture, and history. The people here are healthy and cheerful and follow a lovely folk culture with rich cuisine. Punjab is the homeland of India’s Sikh community with famous Sikh temples and devotional shrines for worship.
A step by step guide to places to visit in Punjab, India
Best time to visit: Punjab experiences an extreme climate, being in the tropical region of India, with scorching heat in summer and cold in peaks in winter. However, it is mostly recommended that the best time to visit Punjab is from October to March as the tourists will have a tremendously enjoyable sightseeing experience due to the pleasant weather at this time.
How to reach Punjab
This North Indian State attracts tourists for its mesmerising natural beauty with lakes and rivers, delicious Punjabi cuisine, sacred shrines, glorious history, rich culture and since it is having a well-developed connectivity, organized infrastructure, and good transport facility in this place connects this state to the neighboring cities all over India and across the globe through the various modes of transport.
You should not miss the Places to Visit in North Goa.
The major International Airports of Punjab are located in the cities of Amritsar and Chandigarh. Other airports in Ludhiana are domestic airports that are well-connected to the other major airports of the country.
Punjab has an extensive railway network, which links it with different corners of the country. Approximately 90 railway stations in Punjab’s various districts make visitors very convenient to reach as close to their destination as possible. The major railway stations in Punjab are Ludhiana, Ferozpur, Pathankot, Chandigarh, Amritsar, and Jalandhar. These railway stations operate trains to all the major states of India.
If you are a person who enjoys long drives then Punjab is the place that is accessible via road from places like Delhi, Haryana, Himachal, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Rajasthan, and more nearby places. It will be a charming experience forming a perfect landscape of plain sailing roads and lush green lands. Through the extensive road network of State Highways and National Highways like -NH1 or Grand Trunk Road that connects many parts of North and East India. Several private buses also run between Punjab and the neighboring cities like Delhi, Haryana, and Rajasthan.
Famous delicious Food in Punjab
Punjab is one of the most popular states in India that offers a vast variety of delectable and exotic vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. Famous Indian cuisines and Pakistani flavors could be seen here. You will relish the rich Punjabi food with its succulent taste and desi ghee. Here are some famous food items of Punjab, that you should not miss while you visit Punjab-Butter Chicken, Shakkar Para, Lassi, Chole-Bhature, Parantha, Amritsari Fish, Dal Makhani, Paneer Tikka, Punjabi PakodaKadhi, RajmaChawal, Makki di Roti teSarso da Saag, Makkeki Roti, Karma Prashad, Gobhi-Shalgam-GajaarAchaar, Pinni, Tandoori Chicken, KadhiChaawal, AmritsariKulche, GaajarkaHalwa, Masala Channa, PalakPaneer, ShahiPaneer, Punjabi Dal Tadka, and many more.
You may be interested in Places to Visit in Karnataka.
Top attractions in Punjab
Punjab is famously called the land of five rivers and is famous for an ancient civilization, religious diversity, scenic landscape, rich history and many more which increase the tourists to visit. The popular places to visit in Punjab include the following-
- Amritsar: Amritsar is famous for the presence of the Golden Temple. This ancient land is home for many tourist attractions like – Golden Temple, JallianwalaBagh, Akal Takht, Tara Taran Sahib, Maharaja Ranjit Singh Panoroma, Wagah Border, Maharaja Ranjit Singh Museum, Ram Bagh Garden, Harike Wetland and Bird Sanctuary, Khalsa College, Durgiana Temple, Bathinda Fort, Kaiser Bagh Park, etc.
- Chandigarh: It is the capital for both Punjab and Haryana. It is famously known as the city beautiful. You can find the modernization in the city which has not destroyed the treasures of the land. The top destinations include- The Rock Garden, Sukhna Lake, Leisure Valley, Shanti Kunj, Morni Hills, Chhatbir Zoo, Rose Garden, Le Corbusier Centre, Government Museum and Art Gallery, Sarkaria Cactus Garden, Timber Trail, Butterfly Park, Yadvinder Garden, Garden of Fragrance, Chandigarh Botanical Garden and Nature Park, Mahendra Chaudhary Zoological Park, Chhatbir Zoo, Terraced Garden, International Dolls Museum, etc.
- Jalandhar: It is a historical place famous for sports goods. This is an ancient place in the world and is mentioned in the epic Mahabharata. It has the most famous sites of historical importance and religious significance. The top attractions include- Imam Nasir Masjid, TulsiMandir, Shaheed-E-Azam, SardarBhagat Singh Museum, Wonderland Theme Park, Devi TalabMandir, Shiv Mandir, St. Mary’s Cathedral Church, PushpaGujral Science City, Company Bagh, Niku Park, Rangla Punjab Haveli, Prithvi’s Planet, SheetlaMandir, etc.
- Ludhiana: It is the largest city in Punjab and is famous for its historical monuments and religious centers. It is situated close to the banks of river Sutlej. It has significant importance during the freedom fight. The important places of Ludhiana are -Lodhi Fort, Rural Heritage Museum, Tiger Zoo, Punjab Agricultural University Museum, GurudwaraCharan Kamal, Maharaja Ranjit Singh War Museum, Phillaur Fort, Nehru Rose Garden, Deer Park, etc.
- Patiala: It is famously referred to as the city of newspapers. It has the best architecture that reflects the glory of the past. The top attractions include- Qila Mubarak Complex, MotiBagh Palace, Banur, Samana, Baradari Garden, Sheesh Mahal, Darbar Hall, BirMotiBagh Sanctuary, BirMotiBagh Sanctuary, LachmanJhoola, Kali Temple, etc.
- Bhatinda: It is the famous ancient city of Punjab where the monuments found here belong to 3000 BC. The famous tourist attractions in Bathinda are Bhatinda Fort, Qila Mubarak, Rose Garden, Bhatinda Lake, Bhatinda Zoological Park, Lakhi Jungle, BirTalab Zoo, Chetak Park, Dhobhi Bazaar, etc.
- Pathankot: It gains its importance as it is the meeting point of Punjab, Jammu, and Kashmir, Haryana. The scenic beauty of the land and its rich history made the land a popular tourist destination. The famous attractions include- Mukteshwar Temple, AshapurniMandir, Kathgarh Temple, Nurpur Fort, RanjitSagar Dam, Hydraulic Research Station, Shahpurkandi Fort, Kali Mata KaMandir, etc.
- Kapurthala: It is referred to as Paris of Punjab with its excellent architecture and breath-taking gardens. The historical significance, scenic landscape, and spectacular monuments made it a unique destination that one has to visit in his lifetime. The Jagatjit Palace, Jagatjit Club, Elysee Palace, PanjMandir, Kanjli Wetland, Shalimar Garden, Nihal Palace, State Gurudwara, Moorish Mosque are few of the attractions here.
- Mohali: It retains its ancient heritage and is home to the number of IT industries. The important visiting places here are Rose Garden, Silvi Park, Mataur Lake, Rock Garden, Sukhna Lake, Sukhna Wildlife Sanctuary, GurdwaraAmb Sahib, Mansa Devi Temple, Gurudwara Nada Sahib, Punjab Cricket Association Stadium, etc.
- Ropar: It is also known as Rupnagar. It is another ancient place in Punjab and it belongs to the era of Harappan Civilization. The top destinations include-Anandpur Sahib, Chamkaur Sahib, BhakraNangal Dam, Ropar Wetland, GurudwaraParivarVichhora Sahib, GurudwaraBhatta Sahib, JateshwarMahadev Temple, etc.
Places to stay in Punjab
You can find decent accommodation in Punjab which is not at all a problem. Every city has several hotels and guest houses with comfortable rooms that suit your budget. Punjab offers a relaxing stay with several cozy accommodation options that are available in almost all popular tourist destinations. Online booking facility which is a hassle-free way to pre-book the accommodation is also available. The prices are also reasonable and Punjab is popular for its warm hospitability and grace. If you are looking for good travel deals, offers, hotel discounts, you can consider the Best Travel Credit Cards. That’s all folks about places to visit in Punjab, hope you enjoy your tour and stay.