Introduction: Nagaland is famously known as Land of Festivals. Nagaland is a scenic beauty with amazing hill stations preserved history and tradition. A visit to Nagaland makes you a most memorable one because of the mesmerizing places in it. Colorful costumes, spicy cuisines, pleasant weather, traditional villages, beautiful dance forms, and soothing music defines the beauty of Nagaland.
A step by step guide to places to visit in Nagaland
It is a remote place in Northeast India you can see the fascinating tribal village life in Nagaland. It is the most convenient place to travel offered by Kipepeo, Greener Pastures and Holiday Scout. This blog guides you in what places to visit and the things to do in Nagaland. 16 major tribes share a border with Myanmar. The people in Nagaland are very friendly and welcome all the visitors, attracting tourists from all over the world.
Best time to visit Nagaland
The ideal time to visit Nagaland if you are planning a trip to Nagaland is considered to be from October to February. This time is well suited for travelers as the climate is pleasant at this time. The temperature ranges from 5-25°C.
You should not miss the Places to Visit in Telangana.
Top placed to visit in Nagaland
Nagaland is a lush green mountain state which borders Myanmar. It is a home of diverse traditions, culture, and lifestyles of tribal groups in the naturally blessed land. Nagaland gives you a different kind of experience where you will feel like you are on a different planet because of the serenity and tranquility over there. The state is filled with unique charm and simplicity with mesmerizing experience you will never have in your lifetime. The top places to visit in Nagaland include-
- Kohima:It is a hilly capital of Nagaland and the name is given by the British. It is famous for its ethereal environment and untouched beauty. It is situated at a height of 1500m above sea level and is endowed with quaint hills, beautiful forests and picturesque landscape. It is the top tourist destination in Nagaland for trekking, camping, and hiking. The city has a lot of places to visit which include the museum, zoo, sanctuary, valleys, self-governing villages, Kohima war cemetery, Dzukou Valley and Japfu peak, Tuophema village and much more.
- Mokokchung:It is the most significant urban center of Nagaland. The popular tourist spots include the district museum, the Town main park, (located just above the Town Center), Unman village (which is regarded as the oldest and largest) and the Ao village. Also, visitors might be interested in exploring places like Longkhum, Langpangkong, Mopungchukit, and Chuchuyimlang. Since agriculture is the main occupation in this place, festivals during sowing and harvesting months have tourist experience. The places to visit in Mokokchung include-Longkhum, Ungma village, Langpangkong caves, Molung village, Chuchuyinlang village, caves, Moatsu Festival.
- Dimapur:It is the largest and fastest-growing city of Nagaland. Most of the tourists visit this city as the airport is situated here. Some of the few attractions in Dimapur include- the triple falls, kachari ruins, Nagaland Science center, Zoological Park, shopping places, Rangapahar Reserve forest, etc.
- Phek: It is a hilly station rich in flora and fauna. The spell bounding views of hills makes you mesmerize for its beauty. Shilloilake is the top attraction in Phek. The important tourist attractions in Phekinclude-Kapamodz, Zanibou, Tizu, Lanye, and Sedzu, Phek waterfall, colorful festivals make the tourists experience a vibrant one.
- Tuensang: It is the largest district in Nagalandwith the largest urban centers makes it a top tourist destination. It is one of the fastest-growing towns with a significant rise in several schools, hospitals, and several basic amenities that can be found here compared to other places. The important places to visit in Tuensanginclude-Noklak, longtrok, Changsangmongko, Tsadang.
- Mon: This place gives a unique and quiet view with tattooed faces, with feathery loincloths. It does not have many attractions but people visit to see the Mon people, culture, their dressing styles, a few other interesting aspects. Veda peak and Naganimora are the famous tourist spots here. The villages like Chui, Longwa, and Shangynu are the important villages which are worth to visit.
- Khonoma village: It is famously known as a green village where all the forms of hunting have been abolished for a sustainable environment. The tribal groups of Nagaland protect and conserve their natural habitat. They are dependent on nature for their food. It is ecofriendly, a conservation-based village with fantastic views and scenic beauty. The important places to visit are misty valleys, slopping hillocks, terraced farms.
- Kisama:Naga heritage village in Kisama has the most important in preserving and promoting the culture and traditions of Naga people. It protects its Tribal livelihood and values. The village is open to the public for a week in December during the time of the hornbill festival. It gives a view that it is like an Open-air Museum of Nagaland culture and tradition.
You may be interested in Places to Visit in Gujarat.
How to reach Nagaland
It is tedious to reach Nagaland but the Journey makes up for all the efforts. It has only one airport, the railway station but does not have a good network of roads. The best way to approach is a direct flight to Dimapur or by train to Guwahati and take an overnight bus. Let us see more details about transportation to Nagaland.
Airways in Nagaland: There is only one airport that is in Dimapur where regular Air India Regional, IndiGo, Air India Flights operate from Dibrugarh, Delhi, and Kolkata. For international flights, one needs to reach LokpriyaGopinathBordoloi International Airport in Guwahati or NetajiSubhash Chandra Bose International Airport in Kolkata. From here you can get overnight buses to reach Nagaland.
Railways: Dimapur railway station is the only railway station in Nagaland approachable only through Assam from there you can take an overnight bus to reach Nagaland.
Roadways: Nagaland is not well connected with the highways from all the major cities except with Guwahati and Kolkata.
Famous Nagaland food items
The cuisine of Nagaland has unique flavors, colors, styles and a distinct dash of adventure. It is primarily non-vegetarian and typically goes beyond the non-vegetarian ingredients with dogs, spiders, pork, beef, crabs, cat, chicken and even elephants in its platter. The food here is hot and spicy and the Naga King chili is mostly used in dishes. The everyday food includes Rice with meat or vegetables, smoke-dried pork curry with Akhuni-fermented soybeans is the famous dish here. The sweet dishes include Koatpitha which is prepared with Bananas, Rice flour, and Jaggery. The options of vegetarian food are minimal here whereas they will not offer the same variety as in the case of local nonvegetarian food.
Places to stay in Nagaland
Nagaland is still undergoing constructions for ultra-luxurious hotels. It also has nice lodging decorated beautifully with traditional and modern architecture. It is well noted for its noble hospitality. The destination provides the best in services with comfortable rooms and a warm environment. The stays will be surrounded by quiet peaceful and serene ambiance throughout the state. You can find hotels in Kohima, Dimapur, Mokokchung, Wokha, etc. If you are looking for hotel rewards , travel offers and travel deals, you can consider the Best Travel Credit Cards.