Introduction: Hi Travelers today we have information of places to visit in Meghalaya state of India. Meghalaya is located to the northeast in India the Assam valley from the plains of Bangladesh and The River Brahmaputra forms the border in the west. Meghalaya has a rich history of craftsmanship, wood-carving, and artistic weaving. The famous tribal groups Jaintia, Khasi and Garo constitute Meghalaya’s population. There is a small village in Meghalaya, popular as Mawlynnong is an amazingly clean village where every street corner has a bamboo dustbin to ensure nature-friendly disposal of trash. Shillong is the capital of Meghalaya. It has plentiful British architecture; magnificent lakes all around the town, beautiful lakes are eye-catching. Shillong is popular as the ‘Scotland of the East’ as it has a lot of leftover British colonial influence.
A tour and travel guide to places to visit in Meghalaya
The state is well known as the wettest places on Earth for the place Cherapunjji, which receives maximum rainfall in the world from June to September. Cherapunjji will mesmerize you with the hills, valleys, lakes, caves, and waterfalls which will give you a fantastic refreshing experience with its serene and beautiful look. Most of the terrain here is hilly and experiences heavy rainfall during monsoons and derives its name from the Sanskrit term and is aptly called as an abode of clouds. The State is famous for its high rainfall, subtropical forests and biodiversity and is one of the popular sightseeing destinations in India.
Best time to visit
Meghalaya is a hill state and is visited by many travelers across the country and in the world. The best time to visit Meghalaya is October to June. The monsoons are extreme and the weather in the winter season will be pleasant and since the temperature does not go beyond 28-30°C in summer. It is highly recommended to visit Meghalaya during this period.
You should not miss the Places to Visit in South Goa.
How to reach Meghalaya
Meghalaya is visited by people for its natural landscapes with lush greenery, wildlife, waterfalls, culture and many more. It is very important to have information on the various means of transport in Meghalaya and travel information if you are planning a visit to Meghalaya.
Airways: Traveling to Meghalaya by flight is only possible by a major airport that is in Guwahati in Assam which is 159 Km from Meghalaya. The Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport in Guwahati is connected to the rest of India with regular flights. Helicopter service is also available from Guwahati to Tura and Tura to Shillong. It will take 20 minutes to reach Shillong from Guwahati and one hour from Guwahati to Tura and it is a very economical and convenient means of transport.
Railways: The nearest railway station from Meghalaya is located in Guwahati (Assam) as there is no railway station in Meghalaya and it is at a distance of 180 km from Meghalaya. To reach Meghalaya by train first you have to go to Guwahati and from there you can avail of bus or cab services.
Roadways: The state is well connected by a network of roads with all important cities in the neighboring states and major cities in the country. The State Transport Corporation and many private travel facilities are available for traveling in Meghalaya. The National Highway NH 40 connects the state to neighboring states. Many taxis and cabs also operate here which could be availed for sightseeing in Meghalaya.
Famous Food in Meghalaya
Meghalaya is the best tourist place that is filled with scenic spots, hill stations, beautiful churches, lively markets, clean villages, exotic culture and adventure activities, multicuisine, and many more interesting things to do. Tourists regularly and repeatedly visit Meghalaya for the best food which keeps them coming back. India is a home of cuisines and one could find a variety of cuisines (local, North Indian, Chinese, Bengali, Assamese) here in Meghalaya but the popular are Garo, Khasi, and Jaintia cuisines. The food here comprises of rice and vegetable curries or fish and meat. Here are the some of the top foods available in Meghalaya for anyone especially those who love meat- Tungrymbai, Jadoh, Dohneiiong, Chowmein, Smoked Meats, Dohkhlieh, Pukhlein, Chilly Pork, Nahkham, Blood Sausage, Pumaloi, Bamboo Shoots, Doh Jem, Do’o Kappa, Minil Songa, Ga’lda Na’kam, Wak Jo. Krapa, Herbed Pork and Apples, Tungtap, Misa Mach Poora, Egg Dal, Mylliem Chicken, Pudoh, Sakin Gata, Kyat, and many more for a foodie soul who is interested to taste the variety of foods in Meghalaya.
You may be interested in Rajasthan Tour Packages.
Famous attractions in Meghalaya
Meghalaya is the most beautiful state in India. It is the cleanest state which offers varieties of sites, activities, food, and festival to the tourists who visit Meghalaya. It is famously known as the abode of clouds. It has many magnificent lakes that run down the hills surrounding it. Cherrapunji is famous for receiving the highest rainfall in this world and hence this place is popularly known as the wettest place on earth. Meghalaya sets and stands as an example for maintaining the state with eco-friendly things like a bamboo dustbin and many other things made with wood. Meghalaya has a rich history along with many beautiful places to visit. The top places to visit in Meghalaya are-
- Cherrapunji: Cherrapunji is the world’s wettest place, which attracts many tourists from all over the world. You can visit this place at any time except during monsoon. It promises the tourists with enticing sites to witness. It is the best destination in Meghalaya to plan for your holiday or honeymoon tour. The major attractions in Cherrapunji are- Nohkalikai Waterfalls, Living Root Bridges, Nohkalikai Falls, Mawsmai Cave, Seven Sister Falls, and Dain-Thlen Falls, Arwah Cave, Kynrem Falls, Thangkharang Park, Eco Park, and Garden of Caves.
- Living Root Bridges: These are spread across the dense valley regions of Khasi Hills. These bridges are grown from the roots of rubber trees. The most stunning bridge among Living Root Bridge is Umshiang Double-Decker Bridge. You can find unique attractions here where the natural wonders are perfectly blended with man’s ingenuity. But to visit this place you need to trek up to seven hours which is a bit difficult for travelers.
- Nohkalikai Waterfalls: It is an exotic natural wonder. It is the highest waterfall in India and is the best place for nature lovers to visit.
- Mawlynnong Village: It is one of the exotic tourist places in Meghalaya which is worth to visit and spend a day over there. The bamboo guest houses are the place where you will love top stay to make your trip a worthy one. The major attractions in Mawlynnong include-Sacred Forest, Nohkalikai Falls, Mawkdok Valley View Point, Mawsmai Cave, Dain-Thlen Falls.
- Dawki Town: It is a nature’s paradise and is located on the international border of India and Bangladesh. The lake Umngot has gained its importance because of the crystal clear emerald water. You can sail till the Bangladesh-India border where you will fall in love with the nature surrounding. Dawki Town in Meghalaya makes a perfect place for honeymoon couples. The important attractions in Dawki Town are- Mawlynnong Village, Krang Suri Falls, Dawki River, Elephant Falls, and Byrdaw Falls.
- Mawphlang Sacred Forest: It is a well-preserved attraction in Meghalaya. Anything out from this forest is strictly prohibited because of which the beauty still exists. You can explore many things in this gorgeous place. Many trees here are almost a thousand years old. The popular attractions in Mawphlang Sacred Forest are David Scott Trail, Khasi Heritage Village, Laitlum Canyons, Elephant Falls, Mawkdok Valley.
- Nongkhnum Island: It is the second-largest island in Asia. It is famous for its dense forests, verdant grass islands, luminous lakes, and charming waterfalls. The entire set of these in Meghalaya creates a new experience for the visitors. The major tourist attractions include- Kyllang Rock, Langshiang Falls, and Thum Falls.
- Balpakram National Park: It is a rich Biodiversity area. It consists of many fascinating animals like Red Panda, Wild Buffalo, Elephant, Tiger, Deer, Leopards, Wild Cows, Marbled Cat, and more. The major attractions in Balpakram National Park are- Siju Bird Sanctuary, Tiru Peak, Siju Caves, and Pelga Falls.
- Shillong: Shillong is a peaceful spot with forested hills, scenic beauty, and climate conditions make Meghalaya as an important tourist destination in India. The important places to visit in Shillong are Mawphlang Sacred Forest, Umiam Lake, Wards Lake, Shillong Peak, Ward’s Lake, and Lady Hydari Park.
- Elephant Falls: It is rich in tourist attractions where one has to mention it in the list of top places to visit in Meghalaya. Elephant Falls is located in the capital city. Elephant falls gives a refreshing experience for the tourists. It is a three steps waterfall where the first fall is concealed between the trees, the second one is trivial in winter, and the third one is the tallest and popular among all.
- Don Bosco Museum: Don Bosco Museum is a famous place to visit. It is rich in the cultural history of the state Meghalaya. You can see the culture of North East India. It showcases the lifestyle and culture of Meghalaya and exhibits a wide range of arts, artifacts, attires, weapons, and handicrafts. It is listed as one of the finest and largest Museums in Asia of this kind.
- Laitlum Canyon: It is a picturesque destination in Meghalaya. It is a paradise of land with majestic hills and valleys and is a perfect sightseeing spot where you will admire the panoramas of Meghalaya. This enthralling site is loved by the photographers to make a perfect shot.
Places to stay in Meghalaya
Meghalaya is well-developed in providing the best accommodations like hotels and resorts with warm hospitality. One can find all the kinds of luxury to mid-range and budget hotel options in Meghalaya. It makes the tourists enjoy the comfort of stay in Meghalaya. It is well equipped with all the services along with modern facilities. You can also find few government guest houses to stay and bamboo houses as well. If you are planning for travel and tour, you can consider the Best Travel Credit Cards for getting best tour deals and offers on flight tickets and hotel bookings.