Introduction: Hello travelers we are here with a great information of places to visit in Manipur. Manipur is the jewel city of India and is situated in the northeastern part of the country. It is a multilingual state and is listed as the most beautiful place in India. It offers awestruck attractions like exotic landscapes, greenery hills, river valleys, lakes, and dense forests makes it the best beautiful tourist destinations in India. It is also popularly referred to as Switzerland of India.
A tour guide for places to visit in Manipur
The people in Manipur are very polite and hospitable. It is rich in culture tradition and ethnicity. The Raasleelas and classical dance of Manipur holds a significant position in the culture of India.
Brief History of Manipur
It became a part of British India following the Yandaboo treaty with the East India Company in 1826. The treaty is an agreement between the Indo-Burma’s War that established the sovereignty of the British Government. The state was separated in 1972 and from then it enjoyed the stable government for a good time.
Best time to visit Manipur
The best time to visit Manipur is during winters and till the onset of summers. The suggested months duration between October to March. The weather is not so hot and will be more pleasant and cozy during winters with slightly warm in the coming summers. The temperature ranges from 10-30°C during this time which is ideal for enjoying the Manipur Tourism.
You should not miss the places to visit in Uttarakhand.
Best places to visit
Manipur is a jeweled land and boasts its picturesque landscape with its misty hills, shimmering lakes, verdant valleys, gurgling, and thick luxuriant forests that make Manipur as a renowned place to visit once in a lifetime. It is well-known for its breathtaking beauty. The tourism in Manipur is growing day by day because of its waterfall, scenic beauty, and amazing heritage. The tourism department in Manipur is taking major initiatives to develop Manipur as a prime tourist destination in northeast India. The major tourist places in Manipur include-
- Imphal: It is the charm of Manipur which is surrounded by its natural beauty, sceneries, landscape, and significant history. Imphal is a major tourist destination in Manipur with its lust green landscape, beautiful surroundings, unexplored territories, and undulating rivers. The site of the battle of Imphal during World War II assumes importance in the history of India. The important places to visit in Imphal include- INA Memorial, Manipur state museum, Kangla fort, Langthabal war cemeteries, Shri Govindji temple, Waithou, and Loktallake. Manipur zoological gardens, KeibulLamjao National Park are the other important places to visit in Imphal.Thoubal: It is a well-developed city and a good holiday destination because of its pleasant climate and numerous activities. It is an ideal place for trekking, hiking, and picnics because of the presence of flora and green landscapes along with the facilities available. It is also famous for the temples, water bodies, popular bazaars, the vibrant environment makes it a perfect tourist destination to visit in Manipur. It is well known for its ‘landscapes and bazaars’. The places to visit in Thoubal include- Ikop, Khongjom, Loktaklake, Lousi, Pumlen.
- Tamenglong: It is considered as the Manipur home to exotic flora and fauna. It is an ideal setting for tourism and outdoor holidays. The beauty of this city lies in the unusual varieties of flora and fauna. It is well known for the oranges grown which are very sweet. The vibrant forests here provide habitat to Hog deers, Leopards, wild dogs, hyenas, tigers and many more. The waterfalls, exotic animals, numerous orchids, orange fields make it a perfect destination to visit in Manipur. The important places to visit in Tamenglong are- Barak waterfall, Zeiladlake, Buning meadows, Tharon Cave, Forests nearby and local festivals.
- Chandel: It is famously referred to as a cultural rainbow. It is the scenic district in Manipur and the second least populous of all the main nine districts in Manipur. It is situated in the international border separating India and Myanmar and is the gateway to Myanmar. It is about 64 Km away from Imphal with NH 39 passing through. It is well known for being as a home to more than twenty native tribes. Each tribe offers a unique identity to the area with its colors of culture in all the directions. Visitors to Chandel enjoy the art forms along with the music and dance. Chandel has four subdivisions- Chandel town, Tengnoupal, Chakpikarong, and Machi. It is a home to a large number of plant and animal species and one can find numerous orchids, ornamental plants, and useful medicinal plants. The important places to visit in Chandel are- Yangoupokpi-Lokchao wildlife sanctuary, Tengnoupal, Moreh.
- Loktak Lake: It is the largest freshwater lake in India. Loktak lake along with Sendra Island on it is the most beautiful and stunning attractions of Manipur. It is situated 50 Km from Imphal. Loktak Lake is the home to all the rivers and rivulets that run in the state of Manipur. The floating Island on the largest freshwater lake which is made of organic waste makes it the beautiful, unmatched destination to visit in Manipur. The boat riding in pristine waters surrounded by greenery and crimson sunset makes it a mesmerizing location that you will never forget in your travel experience.
- Moirang: It is a small town nestled in the state of Manipur. This is seen in wars and is beautiful and endless. It is home to a plethora of flora and fauna. It is a place to relax and refresh your mind and soul. It is a safe place for Sangaideers which were once thought to be extinct. It is a place where NetajiSubhash Chandra Bose along with the Indian Army fought a war with the Britishers. It is the headquarter for the Indian National Army during the Second World War where everything was controlled from here. A large number of animals and birds can be spotted at this place. Rare animals like sambar, monkeys, barking deer, sangai deer can be seen roaming here and there. Birds like ducks, hornbills, kingfisher, and cranes are most commonly seen. Migratory birds come and visit this place frequently. Python and cobra are commonly found and spotted making their way in between the trees.
- Bishnupur: It is a popular destination for pilgrimages in Manipur. The famous tourist attractions in Bishnupur include- Rasmancha, Jor Bangla Temple, PanchaRatana Temple, Dal Madol, SusuniaPahar, Shyamrai Temple, Siddheswar Temple, RadhaShyam Temple, Sridhara Temple.
- Ukhrul:Ukhrul is a picturesque destination that makes you feel you are in the English countryside. It gives you a romantic experience when you visit here. It also allows hiking, trekking with its picturesque sites. The most beautiful places to visit in Ukhrul are-Khayang Peak, ShiruiKashung Peak, KachouPhung Lake, Khangkhui Cave, ShiruiKashung, HundungMangva Cave, Nillai Tea Estate, AngoChing.
- Churachandpur: It has lost some of its beauty because of the bombarding by Japanese. It managed to maintain its flawless beauty. The place is an ideal vacation for tourists who visit Manipur. It is the second-largest city in Manipur with deep historical significance. The important places to visit in Churachandpur are Ngaloi Falls, Tuibuong Tribal Museum, Tonglon Cave, Khuga Dam, Tipaimukh.
- Senapati: It is not so popular place in Manipur but it has its importance with its shimmering streams and rugged mountains make a place with unique features where one likes to visit here to spend quality time. The important places to visit in Senapati are-Mao, Yangkhullen, Dzuko Valley, Liyai, Purul, MaramKhullen, Makhel Cave, SaduChiru Waterfalls.
You may be interested in Maharashtra Travel Guide.
Famous Food in Manipur
The food of Manipur is simply organic and aromatic with local and exotic herbs. The methods of cooking are very simple with unique flavor and fragrance due to the local and seasonal ingredients. The staple food of Manipur includes rice, fish, potatoes along with aromatic herbs and roots from their gardens. The dishes are prepared without oil. Ngri is prepared by fermentation and is the favorite dish of Manipuri people which cannot be missed. Nga-thonga fish curry, Ooti-a typical Manipuri vegetarian dish, Eromba, ChagemPomba made with fermented soya and mustard leaves, Chamthong, and Kangshoi which is a stew cooked with seasonal vegetables are the delicious dishes of Manipur where one should not miss to taste them. Other than this North Indian and Chinese cuisines are available and can be enjoyed.
How to reach Manipur
It is well connected by Airways and roadways predominantly.
Imphal is well connected with the rest of the states by air. It operates flights to and from all the major states in India.
Manipur has a vast network of State and National highways that make it convenient to reach Manipur through the major junction Imphal to all other states in India.
Railways: Railways are not well developed. The nearest railhead is ‘Silchar in Assam.’
Staying in Manipur
Manipur is developed in accommodation, where many hotels, guesthouses, and resorts are available for the stay to the tourists based on their budget. 3-star, 4 and 5-star hotels along with luxurious hotels are also present in Manipur. Few places even allow homestays. They provide cozy and affordable rooms to stay in. The best cities to stay in Manipur include- Guwahati, Imphal, and Ukhrul. Ukhrul provides homestays for family. You can book your accommodation online by viewing the reviews and choosing the best deals for your stay. That’s all folks about places to visit in Manipur. If you are interested in getting best travel and tour offers through credit cards, you can check the Best Travel Credit Cards.