Introduction: Hello travelers, today we are here with a great information of places to visit in Madhya Pradesh. Madhya Pradesh, the second largest state in India by area, is a mixture of paradoxes and mysteries. This land offers an intoxicating blend of things to do and sightseeing locations to the people visiting Madhya Pradesh. It stands as India’s political and cultural heartbeat with because of the tribal population, rich history, vibrant sights, awe-spring art, pious shrines and temples, Forts, Palaces, National Park- Bandhavgarh National Park, Barasingha, Tiger Reserves, Lakes, and Waterfalls, and many more to famous things to see in Madhya Pradesh.
A step by step tour guide to places to visit in Madhya Pradesh
From food to culture to heritage to traditional values, Madhya Pradesh states that hosts the best of India and truly considered as one of the holiday destinations in India. If sightseers are interested in majestic heritage and rich cultural traditions then Madhya Pradesh is the first choice to visit.
A brief history of Madhya Pradesh
Madhya Pradesh is that region of Indian Subcontinent which was previously occupied by Gonds- so-called the Gondwanas and as the name depicts it is located in the center of India surrounded by the major Indian states Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, and Uttar Pradesh. The grand fair of Kumbh Mela is organized for every 12 years. It hosts the world’s renowned and sacred land for Hindus i.e., Ujjain- It has one of the 12 Jyotirlingas in India and the Khajuraho temples that are famously popular for its erotic sculptures depicting the ancient India Kama Sutra text. The great King Ashoka has constructed a great Sanchi Stupa that is situated in Bhopal. Due to these unique attractions and sightseeing places in Madhya Pradesh, it is popular as the ‘heart of India’. Now let us get into details of Places to Visit in Madhya Pradesh state of India.
You should not miss the Places to Visit in North Goa.
Best time to visit Madhya Pradesh
Though it depends upon the vacation availability, the best time visit Madhya Pradesh is from October till March as the climate remains cool to allow visiting attractions to their satisfaction in a pleasant way. It is also very important to have ample woolen clothes since the temperature may touch the bottom of the mercury level. Summers (May and June) are not recommended as it has quite severe scorching heat, especially in the peak season. You must note not to miss the famous Khajurao Dance Festival that is held between February and March and The Tansen music festival held in December.
Top attractions in Madhya Pradesh
If you are planning a vacation to Madhya Pradesh, this guide will help you in the specific locations in detail where you can explore the culture, tourist attractions, cuisine, shopping, wildlife, art and craft and many more in an easy way.
- Khajuraho: It is a home for 25 intricately carved temples which are declared as UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Places to include in Khajuraho includes- Western, Eastern, Southern Group of Temples and Ken River.
- Orchha: It gives a unique combination of medieval charm and quite village life. The places to visit are palace complex, Lakshminarayana Temple, Chatturbhuj Temple, and Betwa River.
- Bhandhavgarh National Park: It is a home for Tigers especially the Royal Tigers and variety of wildlife including swamp deer, spotted deer, chowsingha, nilgai, chinkara, sloth bear, jackal, hyena, langur, more than 240 species of birds, and variety of reptilian species where you can visit all these using Jeep Safaris.
- Sanchi: The oldest Buddhist archeological site with many monuments from the third century BC. It is one of the primary places of Buddhist pilgrimage. The places to visit include monuments of Sanchi hill, Sanchi Museum, and Udaygiri Caves.
- Mandu: It is the city of the Malwa region of Madhya Pradesh and is well known for its fine architecture. It has a large number of palaces, forts and other monuments. The places to visit include Jahaz Mahal, Jami Masjid, Tomb of Hoshang Shah, Asharfi Mahal, Rani Roopmati Pavillion and, Baz Bahadur’s Palace.
- Kanha National Park: It has a significant population of tigers, leopards, sloth bears, barasinghas, and wild dogs. The Jeep Safaris are available along with elephant safaris and birding is also allowed. This stands as an inspiration for the movie Jungle Book.
- Gwalior: It is considered as the glorious capital of Marathas and Mughals. It is the pearl among the fortresses in India. The places to visit – Jai Vilas Palace, Gwalior Fort, and the enclosed monuments.
- Bhopal: It is the capital city of Madhya Pradesh and is a mix of old and new cultures. You can find the glorious Mughal influence and the new development of Modern India withpromenades and Museums. Places to visit are Lakes, Taj-ul-Masjid, Jama Masjid, Moti Masjid, Manav Sanghralaya (Museum of Mankind), and a trip to Bhimbetka caves.
- Ujjain:Ujjain is considered as the most popular holiest cities in India. It is an ancient city situated on the Shipra River Bank in the Malwa region. Kumbh Mela is the most attractive gathering on the planet. Maha Kaleshwar Jyotirlinga is one of the 12 Jyotirlinga that shrines to the God Shiva. Places to visit in Ujjain are Kal Bhairava Temple, Ram Mandir Ghat, Harsiddhi Temple, Kaliadeh Palace.
- Indore: Indore is famously known as the food city. It is rich in cultural heritage. It is also known as the cleanest city of India. The places to visit in Indore include- Lal Bagh Palace, Rajwada, Kanch Mandir, Bada Ganapati, Annapoorna Temple, and city shopping.
The others attractions in Madhya Pradesh include Panchamarhi- the only hill station, Bhimbetka, Pench National Park, Omkareshwar, Maheshwar, Jabalpur, Burhanpur, Panha, Shivpuri, Amarkantak, Satna, Hoshangabad, Bhojpur, Madhai, Churna, Kuno-Palpur wildlife sanctuary, Patalpani waterfalls, Tincha falls, Dharampuri, Janapav, Choral dam, Hanuwantiya, Hatyari khoh, Mohadi falls, Sitlamata falls, Bamniya Kund, Vidisha, Singrauli, and Sonagiri.
You may also check the Maharashtra Travel Guide.
Traveling to Madhya Pradesh
Madhya Pradesh can be easily accessible from all major cities including Indore, Bhopal, Jabalpur, and Ujjain and well-connected by flights and trains with the rest of India. One can reach Madhya Pradesh using the major means of transport like air, train, and road.
Airways in Madhya Pradesh
Madhya Pradesh is having five main airports that are- The Devi Ahilyabai Holkar Airport (IDR), the largest airport in Madhya Pradesh that serves direct flights from Bengaluru, Delhi, Mumbai, Ahmedabad, and Goa. Additionally, Raja Bhoj International Airport (BHO) in Bhopal, Dumna Airport (JLR) in Jabalpur, Gwalior Airport (GWL), and Khajuraho Airport (HJR) also have flights for all the major cities to and from Madhya Pradesh. That’s why this state is easily accessible from all parts of India via airways.
Railways: Madhya Pradesh is having 20 major railway junctions including stations at Ratlam, Indore, Bhopal, Jabalpur, Gwalior, and Khajuraho. A vast railway network connects Madhya Pradesh with the other metropolitans of India. The super-fastest trains of India: The Taj Express and the Shatabdi Express connects the state with Delhi.
Roadways: The roadways in Madhya Pradesh are well maintained. All the neighboring states namely Gujarat, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, and Maharashtra are well connected by 20 National Highways – including NH-7, NH-12A, NH-25, NH-26, NH-27, NH-69, NH-3, NH-92, and NH-12 and State highways. The major interstate bus terminals are at Bhopal, Indore, Gwalior, and Jabalpur.
Famous Madhya Pradesh food items
Madhya Pradesh overall is known for the warm hospitality, rich culture, and history. It is different from other States because it is located central geographically, a blend of cuisines from other states as well is found here. Madhya Pradesh has deliciously lovely food for no vegetarians especially since Bhopal is sought to have Muslim influence and street food is seen in Indore. Since it is also Maharajas and Raja’s state, one can see the usage of rich oil and famous Indian spices as well. The heart of India offers many mouthwatering dishes and sweets for a foodie soul. Here are some amazing dishes and famous food items in Madhya Pradesh that travelers must-have when you are exploring the heart of India-Special Thali, Biryani Pilaf, Carrot Peas Pulao, Poha, Daal Bafla, Seekh Kebabs, Bhutte Ka Kees, Bhopali Ghost Korma, Palak Puri, Kopra Patties, Chakki Ki Shak, Khasta Kachori, Sukhi Sabudana, Sabudana Khichdi, Papad ki Sabzi, Samosa, Shahi Shikanji and sweets like -Malpua, Jalebi, Mawa Bati, Ghujiya, Kaju Barfi, Imarti.
Where to stay in Madhya Pradesh
Madhya Pradesh offers a relaxing stay with several cozy accommodation options that are available in almost all popular tourist destinations. Online booking facility which is a hassle-free way to pre-book the accommodation is also available. The prices are also reasonable and Madhya Pradesh is popular for its warm hospitability and grace. That’s all friends about places to visit in Madhya Pradesh state of India.
You may be interested in Best Travel Credit Card.