Introduction: Hello Travelers today brough the information about places to visit in Jammu and Kashmir. Popular as the ‘Paradise on Earth’ and renowned for the natural bounty, Jammu and Kashmir are undoubtedly popular as one of the travel destinations in India. The state is bounded by Punjab and Himachal Pradesh to the south, Afghanistan to the north-west and Pakistan to the west. Now, let us get into the details of places to visit in Jammy and Kashmir.
A guide to places to visit in Jammu and Kashmir, explore the famous attractions, best time to visit, and accommodation
The trip to Jammu and Kashmir will definitely mesmerize you with the impeccable natural beauty of picturesque lakes and the ride through the tranquil waters, pretty magnificent gardens, local museums, and historical sights, temples, lip-smacking cuisines for a foodie soul, snow-clad mountains, colourful flowers, exquisite monuments, local handicrafts, massive glaciers, splendid monasteries, rivers, forests, etc. The place is also popular for sports like Skiing, golf, trekking, river rafting, paragliding, camping to adventure enthusiasts and beautiful memories of many festivals that will give an exhilarating experience to the people who visit Jammu and Kashmir.
Best time to visit Jammu and Kashmir
During the summer, the temperature is very high and also touches up to 48°C. Winters are mostly preferred as you need not worry about extreme cold specifically from September to early March is considered the best time to visit Jammu and Kashmir. Adventure sports like trekking, hiking, and usual sightseeing are at their peak during this time and also well known for famous festivals- Makara Sankranti (January), Ram Navami (March) and Deepavali (October).
You should not miss the Places to Visit in Uttarakhand.
What are the best modes to reach Jammu and Kashmir
If you are planning a trip and wondering how to reach Jammu and Kashmir. it is not at all difficult as the state is well organized and connected to other places by air, rail and roadways. Some of the places are a bit hard to reach, and once can hire jeeps and other vehicles, though they are expensive.
Airways in Jammu and Kashmir
The flights are operated between Srinagar to other cities in India. Jammu and Kashmir are majorly served by three airports in Srinagar-Sheikh Ul-Alam International Airport, Jammu-Jammu Civil Enclave for domestic flights and in KushokBakulaRimpochee Airport in Leh.
Railways in Jammu and Kashmir
The Jammu-Tawi Station is the major station that is well connected to all the metropolitans of India. Another is the Banihal railway station that operates only during the summer and connects Srinagar.
Roadways in Jammu and Kashmir
One of the means wherein the tourists enjoy the scenic landscape is by roadways and even they prefer this mode of transport while traveling Kashmir. The different cities of India and Jammu and Kashmir is connected by National Highway 1A. J&K State Road Transport Corporation (JKSRTC) and private deluxe buses connect Jammu to other parts of the state.
You may consider Places to Visit in Karnataka.
Delicious Food in Jammu and Kashmir
Not only in terms of landscapes but Kashmiri Food should also be tried in a lifetime. Along with the authentic dishes of Jammu, you will feel the multi cuisines of Leh and Kashmir, and the signatures of Mughals and Arabs. You will be on high spirits if you are a non-vegetarian as Kashmiris offers 30 different ways of mutton preparation. Kashmiri food is mild in taste and rich in flavor with the high use of hot spices like cardamom, fennel, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and saffron. Some of the most popular and mouth-watering delicacies and famous food in Jammu and Kashmir which everyone must try are- Rogan Josh, ModurPulav, Matschgand, Yakhni or Yoghurt Lamb Curry, Dum Olav, Kashmiri MujiGaad, AabGosht, Goshtaba, LyodurTschaman, Momos, Thukpa, Skyu, Khambir, Herbal Tea, Paba, Tangdur, Thenthuk, Butter Tea, KachalooChaat, KaladiKulcha, RajmaChawal, Khatta Meat, Patisa, Dum Aloo, Kashmiri Polao, Seekh Kebab, Rogan Juice, NadruYakhni, Kahva, ShabDeg, Kashmiri Baingan, Matschgand, etc.
Popular places to visit in Jammu and Kashmir
Kashmir is popularly known as Switzerland of India because of its snow-capped mountains, crystal clear lakes, unpolluted air, winding roads, and green meadows makes it a top tourist destination to visit in one’s lifetime. The following are the popular tourist attractions in Jammu and Kashmir to make your trip a memorable one.
You may also like the Places to Visit in Tamil Nadu.
- Srinagar: Srinagar is famously known as the vale of Kashmir. It reflects the authentic Jammu and Kashmir. It is situated on the bank of Jhelum River. The canopied Shikara boats, plush houseboats, snow-capped mountains and the sparkling water of Dal and Nigeen Lake come together to bring the picture of authentic Srinagar to come alive. The blessing of Prophet Mohammad from Hazratbal Shrine and Jama Masjid, the divinity of Shankaracharya temple, a glimpse of the floating vegetable market and the bountiful flora and fauna, all honor the capital city with a title of Paradise on Earth. Srinagar also renders great options for activities like bird watching (Dachigam Wildlife Sanctuary) water skiing (Dal Lake, Nagin Lake, and Bod-dal), golfing (Kashmir Golf Course), trekking (towards PirPanjal, 89 km from Srinagar) and boating (Shikara ride on Dal Lake and Nagin Lake).
- Leh: It is the land of queer beauty and sheer adventure. The lofty mountains, the alpine lakes, divine Gompas, Alchi Monastery, Hemis Monastery, Matho Monastery, Spituk Monastery and Thiksey Monastery, General Zorawar fort, Stok Palace and Jama Masjid are charming attractions here. Jammu City: It is the top places to visit in Jammu and Kashmir. It is famously known as the city of temples. Raghunath temple, Ranbireshwar temple, Mahamaya temple, Peer Baba and Peer Khoh, Bahu Fort-The Aquarium at Bagh-e-Bahu , Mubarak Mandi Palace, Goddess Kali or BaweWali Mata. These attractions make this the expedition to a holy land.
- Rajouri: It is a district that shares a border with Pakistan and thus remains an intriguing travel destination. One can find many charming places to visit; Dehra Ki Gali, Thanamandi and KotrankaBudhal, magnificent Rajauri Fort, BalidanBhavan, Dhanidhar Fort, and Rama Temple.
- Gulmarg: It is the best place to visit in Jammu and Kashmir. Prominent skiing options, trekking, snowboarding, golfing, mount biking and fishing, Visit Kongdori, Shark Fin and Apharwat Peak, Nagin Valley (for which you have trek), Khilanmarg, Frozen Lake and BotaPathri. Baba Reshi and Gulmarg Gondola (Cable car).
- Udhampur: It is the second-largest city in the Jammu region. It is the best tourist attraction which offers many relics during the time of Mahabharata. IT is also famous for the underground river Devika sister of Ganga. The Krimachi group of temples, underground river Devika, Ramnagar fort, Moungri Cave shrine, Pingla Mata and SudhMahadev temple are worth watching places here.
- Kathua: It is famously known as the city of Sufis. It is located on the banks of the river which itself forms the best place to visit. Several religious places including Jasrota temple (inside Jasrota fort), Mata Sundrikote, Mata BalaSundri, SaptSarober and Airwan temple, Recreation Park called Dream, Ujh Barrage, Jasrota Fort, the temple of Maha Kali. Kathua is the perfect blend of culture and tradition that offers a spectacular pictures of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Kupwara: It is a vital part of Jammu and Kashmir. It exemplifies the beauty of Kashmir. The lush meadows, alpine mountains and the gushing clear water, mountain peaks like Shamsbari, Nastachun and Dajalonjun, Gushi (Built by Kashi Shah), Karnah (mentioned in Raj Tarangini written by Kalhana) and Keran, Lolab Valley, KheerBhawaniAsthapan, HazratMehmood Shah Shrine, Shaloora shrine makes the Kupwara an important tourist attraction in the state.
- Badgam: It is popularly known as the authentic Kashmir. It has many picturesque places like Yusmarg, Sang-e-safed, Pehjan and Khag, beautiful Nilnaglake, trek to Sang-e-safed (base for Mount Tatakutti) Doodhpathri and Mount Tatakutti.
- Kargil: It is situated at the India Pakistan border. It holds importance in the history of India. The prime attractions in Kargil include trekking to Pensi-La Lake and Suru valley, Excursion can be made to Drass and see features like Tolo-ling, Mushkoh Valley and Tiger Hill. MulbekhGompa, Shergol, UrgyenDzong, and WakhaRgyal.
- Sonmarg: It offers the extravagant visual treat of landscape and includes important places like Gangabal Lake, Krishansar Lake, Vishansar Lake, Naranag, Harmukh Mountain and the famous Baltal and Thajiwas Glacier, Zojila Pass.
- Pulwama: Pulwama gives you quite a large number of places for sightseeing including Nagberan, Tarsar Lake, Marsar Lake, Shikargarh and Aripal Nag. Tarsar and Marsar are two legendary lakes, Aripal Nag, Avantishwar Temple. It gives the fragrance of saffron fields which draws a lot of nature lovers to it.
- Pahalgam: The scenic beauty of green meadows and lofty mountains makes tourists visit this place. Aru Valley, Betaab Valley, Baisaran, Sheshnaglake and the Tulian Lake, excursion activities like horse riding; trekking and golf. It is the most developed region of Kashmir.
- Doda: It is a perfect place for nature lovers, adventure enthusiasts and the best place to spend a holiday. Activities like mountaineering and rock climbing, along with Bhaderwah and Chinta, the beautiful Kishtwar valley draws a lot of tourists. The two Hindu shrines namely, Chandi Mata Temple and Athra Devi Temple can also be visited here.
- Poonch: IT is situated on Infia –Pakistan border but it attracts tourists from all parts of the world because of its scenic beauty. Its stunning attractions include- the waterfall at BehramGalla named as NooriChhamb, the seven lakes (Sukhsar, Neelsar, Bhagsar, Katorasar, Kaldachnisar and Nandansar) at GirganDhok, the 18th century Poonch Fort and small villages like Mandi and Surankote, shrines and temples like BudhaAmarnath in Mandi, GurudwaraNangali Sahib, GurudwaraDeri Sahib, ZiaratSainIllahiBakash Sahib, Battalkote.
- Baramulla: It is a treasure of Kashmir with Natural endowments. It has Asia’s Largest freshwater lake-Wukar Lake. It forms the ideal picnic spots for the tourists. Gulmarg, Khilanmarg and Tangmarg, Manasbal Lake for bird watching, Picnic spots like- Vijimarg, Mahalishamarg, and Uri.
- Katra: It is a place for devotees who visit Vaishno Devi. The important places to visit in Katra includes-Baba Dhansar and Shiv Khori. Katra is also considered as the divinity of Jammu.
- Patnitop: It is the place where nature meets adventure. It is a must-visit place where you can find immense beauty and abundant fun activities. Visit Gaurikund, enjoy trekking at Shivgarh and paragliding, abseiling (rappelling), rock climbing and camping at Sanasar, and a village called Kud that is famed for vivid varieties of sweets.
- Hemis: It is the best place to visit in the state. It is situated in the western bank of the river Indus. It has its fame because of Hemis Monastery and Hemis National Park, and colorful Hemis festival.
- Kishtwar: It is the crown of Kashmir. The perfect place of enjoying the natural beauty. The top attractions include- Chowgan, Paddar, Chingam, Sinthan Top, Warwan and Marwah.
- Nubra Valley: You can find an impressive view as it is a place where river Shyok and river Siachin meet. It is famous for its diversity and a surprise dessert. The ride on Bactrian camels gives you the most thrilling experience. The important places to visit in Nubra valley include-Khardung La- one of the highest motorable roads in the world, Panamik village, Ensa, Samstanling, Diskit, and Hunder monasteries.
- Drass: It is the world’s second coldest place and is known as Gateway to Ladakh. The best time to visit is during summers. It is India’s coldest place and is popular as Drass war memorial and for trekking to beautiful Suru Valley.
- Zanskar: It has the most beautiful locales that attract a lot of visitors. The excellent places to visit include- Zongkhul and Stongdey are old monasteries, Zangla is an old castle, Karsha, and Panikhar, Pensi La.
- Pangong Lake: This can be one of the best places to visit in Jammu and Kashmir. It is the most beautiful lake and popular place to visit in Jammu and Kashmir. The marshy area in the vicinity of the lake is a shelter for many indigenous and migratory birds, thus a nature lover can also enjoy bird watching.
Accommodation in Jammu and Kashmir
The hospitality offered by Kashmiri people is worth praising. They treat the guests as their family members in the resort, the hotel even though it is a bit luxury compared to other stays. It ensures an unforgettable staying experience for the visitors. There are many hotels available to stay in Jammu and Kashmir which includes-luxury hotels, budget-friendly hotels, resorts, homestays, etc which can be selected based on your budget. The rooms will be spacious with all the amenities. These stays will give you a memorable tourist experience. That’s all folks about places to visit in Jammu and Kashmir, hope you will have good travel experience in Jammu and Kashmir state of India. If you are looking for some trave offers, travel rewards, travel deals, you can consider the Best Travel Credit Cards.